Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The RetroGen!!!!


Retrogen Review:



Hi guys,


My RETROGEN arrived in the mail yesterday and the minute I put my hands on it I started plugging in cartridges to give it a test drive. All of them seem to work fine EXCEPT Castlevania: Bloodlines. Which makes me very sad . The device itself is incredibly light and well made. The screen is a good size, it's not as big as it appears on the box or in pictures, but its a solid 2.8". The buttons are nice. It takes a little while to get used to them because they are set at an angle but they get the job done. I haven't tried TV out yet but I'm sure it works well. The music that comes out of it is slightly off. It's not a big deal really, I actually find it kind of funny.


The only thing that isn't too good about it is the D-Pad which surprised the hell out of me because the D-Pad on the Retrogen "looked" a whole lot better then the GenMobiles one. The D-pad is a big solid silver disc on the left hand side. It works well with platformers and shooter games but is almost impossible to use during a fighting game like Street Fighter II or Samurai showdown. There is also a bit of slowdown that effects certain games. An example of this would be that I get a little slow down in Contra Hardcorps and quite a bit of slowdown in Earthworm Jim. You can barely notice it though so it won't hurt your experience.


Final Words:


The Achilles heel of this portable is the D-pad. Everything else is done very well. The screen is a perfect size and the graphics are clear, the buttons are responsive and spring-y, and the music is OK. If you could overlook the crappy D-pad then I would say pick it up. If not just wait for the GenMobile.
-
-
To Purchcase:
-
-
For further information about the new retro Sega systems and hand helds please click on the link below.
Thanks for reading and comments are always appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I know someone else who just received there's last week. Sorry to pass along the report that it also won't play Phantasy Star IV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't play NBA JAM T.E. either, but it will play the first NBA JAM. A bit of slow down though. I guess the list keeps growing, unfortunatly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can get it to play Castlevania bloodlines one out of a million tries but if you so much as breathe on the cartridge it will lock up.

    ReplyDelete